Here’s a “Little Taste of India”. Gluten-free Indian flat bread aka roti is a staple food in India and my home is no exception. Roti are generally made from whole wheat flour; in our household it is a different story as some of us avoid gluten. The following recipe is a recipe for gluten-free roti.
Ingredients (will yield about 4 medium sized Rotis):
• 2 Cups of Millet flour
• About 1 ½ of Boiling water
1. Boil the water.
2. Sift the flour into a medium bowl and add the boiling water, a little at a time stirring it with a spoon or spatula, until you have a soft dough. Add more flour if the dough becomes sticky. Add more water if the dough seems dry.
3. Preheat an unoiled skillet to medium high heat.
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and form the parts into balls.
5. Flatten the balls between the palms of your hands until the desired size of the roti is reached. Or you can lay out some wax paper on the kitchen counter and flatten the balls with the palm of your hand.
6. Cook the roti for about 1 minute before turning it over to the other side. Cook the other side for another minute. Cook until both sides some darker brown spots.
7. The roti is best served when it’s warm. Also roti is best served with a vegetable side dish or dhal (cooked lentils) or curry.