OMG DELICIOUS ROSEMARY ALMOND MEAL BREAD (Grain/gluten/flour-free, dairy-free)
This recipe was shared by one of our fabulous patients (you know who you are!) who brought in a few slices one day. I had to share it was so good. She recommends toasting lightly with butter, but plain and untoasted, it was amazing. You may have to experiment with the baking loaf pan size to get a reasonable height for a small slice.
Recipe adapted from Sprouted Kitchen (www.sproutedkitchen.com)
This bread resembles a sweet loaf in look and texture. Savory additions are optional (totaling a max of 1/3 cup); chopped sun dried tomatoes, feta, olives, lemon zest, a micro-planed clove of garlic or bits of dried fruit.
The loaf is best day one. Still delicious day two but it does start to dry out at this point as flaxmeal sucks up any sign of moisture. Keep the loaf wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or slice and freeze.
Here is the base recipe:
2.5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or warmed coconut oil/
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
2 1/4 cups ground or blanched almond meal
¼- 1/3 cup ground flax
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
2 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped, plus a little more for garnis
- Preheat the oven to 360′ and grease a 9×5 loaf pan (or smaller) or line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, oil, cider vinegar and honey and whisk well to combine.
- Add almond meal, flaxmeal, salt, baking soda, thyme leaves and rosemary leaves and stir them into the wet mixture until evenly combined.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle a few extra herbs and a sprinkle of salt on top.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out dry.
- Makes one yummy loaf
Thanks to all our patients who share their tried and true recipes with us so we can share with everybody.