OCTOBER IS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
A few months ago, I posted an overview of the importance of breast health for women of all ages. To acknowledge October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month, let’s work together to optimize our breast health and reduce the risk of a breast cancer diagnosis or recurrence.
Here are some steps to promote your own Breast Health Plan:
- Start with a Breast Health Seminar! See our website for the dates of our evening gatherings.
- Set a regular appointment once a year for your ND to:
- Perform a CBE (clinical breast exam by your ND)
- Review your monthly BSE (breast self examination) technique
- Provide dietary guidance, supportive lifestyle suggestions and a safe and individualized supplement plan
3. Annual Hormone Testing – what exactly are your hormone levels? Let’s balance hormones, optimize the protective metabolites while reducing the risk promoting ones. A dried urine test for Estrogen, Progesterone, DHEA, Testosterone and Cortisol plus additional metabolites is well worth the investment.
4. Annual Thermography Imaging- there is valid evidence that whole-body thermography picks up physiological and metabolic changes to breast (and other body tissues) prior to disease and tumor formation. This screening tool does not detect tumors, as can mammography and ultrasound. Further details regarding frequency of mammography and ultrasound imaging can be discussed on a case-by-case basis with your ND depending on your risk factors.
5. The top 12 Breast Health Interventions – come to one of our evening ‘Breast Health’ seminars so we can gather as a group of women, discuss these interventions and learn from each other (yes, this is step number 1, but I really want you to join us!)
See you soon,
Dr. Tory Jackson
Just an added note for this month……
One planet, one people.
This past month, North America has witnessed some devastating natural disasters- earthquakes, flooding, hurricanes and fires.
We watch the amazing grace of people working together regardless of race, religion and personal beliefs whether it’s through the act of rescuing, offering support to the effort or through donations to help recovery.
The precious gift of giving opens our heart where we catch a glimpse of our innate goodness. Through unconditional, selfless giving we feel connected and purposeful. Never underestimate the healing power of friendship, compassion, volunteering, spontaneous acts of kindness and unconditional love. These are the enduring values that define us as human as we undertake our own healing journeys.
It’s comforting to know the strongest force of nature is love.
Dr. Tory Jackson