Gluten-Free Zucchini Pasta
Creating a homemade zucchini noodle with a potato peeler or mandolin provides a gluten-free pasta alternative tasty enough to satisfy the strongest of Italian food cravings.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1-2 large zucchini
1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
4-6 vine tomatoes (diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed or finely
½ small onion (diced)
6-8 fresh basil leaves
¼ – ½ tsp salt
crushed black pepper to taste
¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (dairy-free
- Begin by using a potato peeler or mandolin to create long, thin strips of fresh
zucchini noodle. You may also use a sharp knife and julienne the zucchini to create
thinner versions of this noodle that more resembles spaghetti. Toss lightly in olive
oil and set aside for later
- Preheat a large pan or skillet to medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil and diced onion,
sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the chopped
garlic for 1-2 additional minutes. Stir in the chopped vine tomatoes and allow the
water from the tomatoes to reduce down, approximately 10 minutes–15 minutes,
- Add salt, pepper, fresh chopped basil and the cherry tomatoes. Simmer for 5
minutes. Preheat a separate pan on medium heat and then add the zucchini
noodles. Cook for 5-7 minutes until tender, tossing occasionally.
- Transfer the zucchini noodle into individual portions, top with the desired amount
of tomato sauce & garnish to taste with feta cheese, fresh ground pepper and more
fresh chopped basil.
- For a little extra kick, use a red onion over white and add chili flakes or chili oil to
the garnish. Remember nutritional yeast is a perfect vegan dairy substitute with its
cheesy taste and is rich in vitamin B12.