July 2019 Newsletter
In the Media
Dr. Melina Roberts was the Spotlight Feature in Pascoe’s June newsletter.
Dr. Melina Roberts will be lecturing on The Link Between the Microenvironment and Chronic Disease at the Alternative Medicine Congress in London, UK August 26-27.
SIBO is Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
Throughout our digestive tract we have an ecosystem of microbes that live within our digestive tract and they need to be in a nice, symbiotic balance in order for us to be healthy and have good, proper digestive. We can end up with overgrowths of unhealthy or more pathogenic bacteria within the small intestines. Some of these microbes can feed off of the nutrients that we take in through our diet, which allows them to further overgrow and leads us to be deficient in certain nutrients, because we can unable to properly absorb these nutrients. Imbalances of that gut flora can lead to fermentation of carbohydrates and putrefaction of proteins.
Overall this is leading to inflammation of the small intestines, increase in gas formation, and malabsorption of nutrients. This can lead to changes in bowel movements ranging from diarrhea to constipation, increase in gas, increase in mucus in stools, flatulence, and nausea. In addition to experiencing this digestive symptoms, people may also experience fatigue, anxiety or depression, brain fog, joint pain, skin issues such as rashes, eczema or acne.
Advanced Naturopathic Medical Centre uses specific in-house testing as well as specific lab tests to identify if you have SIBO and if so, what are the stressors or imbalances that need to be addressed to shift your system into balance.
The doctors at Advanced Naturopathic Medical Centre actively work with you to help you to remove stressors, regain balance and optimize your health.
1. Initial Consultation Preparation
To prepare for your Initial Consultation please complete our Patient Intake Form either online or printed form.
The Intake Form gives the doctor a tremendous amount of information that will become the basis of conversation during your Initial Consultation. Following this in-depth overview of your current health state and health history, the doctor will do a general non-invasive physical exam.
2. Initial Consultation, plus Darkfield Microscopy, Heart Rate Variability and SIBO Breath test.
- Darkfield Microscopy – allows us to evaluate your body’s internal environment.
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) – allows us to evaluate the autonomic nerve system and your body’s ability to handle stresses and self-heal.
- SIBO Breath test – This test involves ingesting lactulose, then we collect your breath every 20 minutes for 3 hours. The breath samples are tested for two gases: methane and hydrogen. This test will access whether you have SIBO or not.
3. Treatment Plan:
- Individualized Diet Plan
- Supplement Plan
- Vitamin IVs
- Follow-up visits monthly to track progress and ensure you are on the right path
Contributed by Dr. Tory Jackson