IV Chelation and its Benefits in Treating Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease (heart disease and strokes) is the leading cause of death in Canada. Therefore it is important to get a personalized cardiovascular risk profile and an individualized plan to reduce the assessed risks.
At Advanced Naturopathic Medical Centre, we evaluate 3 main functional factors of cardiovascular health using our advanced testing tools:
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV)
- Digitial Pulsewave Analysis (DPA)
- Darkfield Microscopy
These tests will access the three main functional factors that affect your cardiovascular health, which include:
- Autonomic Nervous System (aids in controlling the heart rate)
- Integrity of the Arterial System (elasticity, flexibility, biological age of arterial system)
- Fluidity of the Blood (stickiness of the blood)
The results of these tests allows us to properly access the problem areas and enable us to figure out what areas we need to focus our treatment plan to greatly improve your cardiovascular health.
There are certain risk factors for developing cardiovascular disease that cannot be controlled by an individual (age, gender (males have a higher risk of stroke than premenopausal women), family history of cardiovascular disease and ethnicity (First Nations, African and South Asian descent are more likely to have high blood pressure and diabetes)). However, the following are risk factors, which individuals can manage; therefore, improve cardiovascular health and/or prevent the development of cardiovascular disease:
- High blood pressure
- Physical inactivity
- Being overweight
- Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
Epidemiological studies have consistently shown that people with greatest amount of arterial stiffening and thickening are at the highest risk for cardiovascular disease. This can be assessed with our DPA test. For those individuals where their cardiovascular dysfunctional area is the integrity of the arterial system, seen in the DPA results, Intravenous (IV) Chelation therapy can be very beneficial.
Typically chelation therapy is used to remove heavy metals from the tissues in the body. Studies have also demonstrated that IV chelation is able to clear out fatty deposit build up on the wall of the arteries and improve the integrity (elasticity and flexibility) of the arterial system. Studies have illustrated that “IV based chelation therapy markedly reduced cardiovascular events in post heart attack patients with diabetes and peripheral artery disease” 2. IV chelation enhances cardiovascular health by managing the controllable risk factors of cardiovascular disease. For example, chelation therapy is an effective and safe treatment for atherosclerosis because calcium disodium (EDTA), which is the chelating agent reduces cholesterol and improves the integrity of the arterial system by improving calcium and cholesterol metabolism 1,3.
IV chelation therapy is an effective and safe treatment for cardiovascular disease that should be administered by a qualified and trained health practitioner in IV chelation.
- Horowitz, Sala. “Chelation Therapy: A Review of Applications and Empirical Evidence.” Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science 20.1 (2014): 41-46
- Peguero, Julio G., Ivan Arenas, and Gervasio A. Lamas. “Chelation therapy and cardiovascular disease: Connecting scientific silos to benefit cardiac patients.” Trends in cardiovascular medicine 24.6 (2014): 232-240.
- Van der Schaar, P. J., R. Th B. Pahlplatz, and E. Blaurock-Busch. “The Effects of Magnesium-EDTA Chelation Therapy on Arterial Stiffness.” Health 6.21 (2014): 2848.