Definition of constipation: We are not moving our bowels daily.
Tendency to constipation: We are not moving large quantities of stools daily and full emptying our colon OR our bowel movements are small, hard nuggets or rabbit pellets.
FIVE Ways to Address Constipation
- Increase water intake. We need to be drinking at least 2L of water per day. Being dehydrated can definitely contribute to a constipation issue.
- Increase healthy fats such as flaxmeal, hemp hearts, chia seeds on a daily basis.
- Take a high quality probiotic. Probiotics are the good, healthy bacteria. We need to establish a good, healthy bacterial terrain in our digestive tract in order to improve our bowel movements.
- Avoid inflammatory foods such as wheat, cow’s dairy and refined sugar. These foods cause inflammation in the mucous membranes of the digestive tract, which makes it challenging on the digestive tract to function properly.
- We need to be relaxed, we need to activate to part of our unconscious nervous system called our parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) in order to have a bowel movement. We need to shift from our sympathetic nervous system state, our stress state, into our parasympathetic nervous system state, our relaxed state, to move our bowels.