Serotonin is one of the inhibitory neurotransmitters that balances the excitatory neurotransmitter like dopamine. Adequate serotonin in the brain and proper function leads to positive, happy, confident, easygoing feelings. Low levels of serotonin leads to negative, obsessive, worried, irritable, sleepless or depressed.
- Depression, negative in nature. Thoughts are typically pessimistic, gloomy, distrustful, dark.
- Do you crave sweets or starches? These foods temporarily raise serotonin levels and make you feel better, but in the long run, they actually deplete serotonin levels and can lead to weight gain.
- Do you have insomnia issues? Serotonin is involved in wakefulness, in triggering sleep, and in REM sleep, therefore a deficiency in serotonin can lead to difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, difficulty getting into REM sleep.
- Do you feel worried or anxious or suffer from panic attacks? There is a connection between low serotonin and anxiety.
- Do you experience migraine headaches? Low serotonin has been associated with migraine headaches.
The body’s store of serotonin can be restored back to healthy levels with naturopathic medicine, which involves dietary changes and specific amino acid supplements.