Whenever you come into our clinic, be prepared, because we will always ask about one key aspect of your health which will give us great insight into what’s going on inside of you, how well your system is functioning and your overall health. It can also give us clues to imbalances such as infections, digestive problems and even serious disease processes. This key indicator of health is your BOWEL MOVEMENTS.
If you understand what is NORMAL then you can better identify when your stools are abnormal.
- COLOUR: medium to light brown in colour,
- formed (stays together);
- smooth, uniform and soft consistency;
- 5-5cm (1-2in) in diameter (good girth);
- 45cm(18in) in length;
- slightly curved (S-shaped);
- mild odour;
- sinks slowly (doesn’t float or dive quickly).
- Bowel movements should happen 1-3 times per day.
- You should move your bowels with ease, no straining or pain. You should not have to sit and wait a long time to move your bowels.
Anything outside of this normal description is considered ABNORMAL and gives us indications that there are imbalances occurring within your body. As Naturopathic Doctors, this is what we are trained to do, uncover what the functional imbalances are in the system, help the body to regain balance and guide you on the path to ideal bowel movements.