The Body Composition Analyzer (BCM) is non-invasive and most advanced of its technology, clinically proven to be accurate, reliable and provide highly repeatable results.
This is a useful tool for accessing health as the health of the body is closely equated to body composition.
The test involves standing on 2 metal pads while holding hand grips, the tester enters patient info into the analyzer. The readings are computed instantly and there is no sensation of the current. There is an imperceptible, electrical current that passes through body tissues and cells that contain water (fat or muscle cells and spaces that surround cells). Measurements depict various rates the current moves through tissues and in turn, calculates readings based on computer analysis and logarithms.
SIX Benefits of Body Composition Analyzer Testing:
- This test is beneficial for those who want to lose weight, to track their progress and ensure that they are losing fat mass and not muscle mass or water weight.
- Visceral fat is the most dangerous kind of fat, it is the fat that forms around your organs and makes a toxic soup in your abdomen. This test is able to tell us your visceral fat rating and whether is it in a healthy range.
- For those patients with osteoporosis, osteopenia or have concerns about their bone mass. We can monitor bone mass with this test.
- This test will also give us an idea of fat distribution throughout the body, which can give us some insight into possible hormonal imbalances, ie. Mid-adbominal spread is common with adrenal dysfunction, whereas a larger mid-section due to visceral fat may contribute to a diabetic picture or metabolic syndrome.
- We can also get an idea of your metabolic rate before exertion or exercise and see how much energy you are burning, which gives us some insight into your overall metabolism.
- We are able to see hydration levels and whether patients are consuming enough water or even too much water.
This testing tool is able to give us a lot of great, useful information regarding patient’s health status and can also be used to track progress in a number of health parameters.
Body Composition Analyzer is able to measure:
- overall body weight
- estimation of body mass index (BMI)
- total body and segmental fat percent and weight
- total body water percent and weight
- intracellular and extracellular water weight
- total body and segmental muscle mass
- physique rating
- bone mass
- visceral fat rating with healthy range
- basal metabolic rate (BMR)
- fat free mass (FFM)
Contraindications for Certain Patients
Patients with a pacemaker or electrical device cannot undertake this test. In addition, patients with metal allergies to stainless steel may experience a reaction.
As part of an ongoing treatment program, we perform periodic testing to monitor improvements and maintenance of a healthy body composition for optimal health and aging.