Contributed by Dr. Tory Jackson
COCONUT OIL IS THE BOMB!
- Helps the body fight off disease and viruses, including yeast and fungus
- Supports thyroid function and blood-sugar control
- Lowers bad cholesterol
- Helps the body burn energy and excess fat stores
- Supports cholesterol-based hormones
- A zillion other things
FAT BOMBS – High fat, low-carb, low protein snacks
This is a real treat…I savoured my first fat bomb in Mexico at a friends place. I had suggested she increase her healthy fat intake for hormone support. She found numerous recipes on the internet for “fat bombs”.
If you are trying to add healthy fats into your diet, these simple to make treats are compatible in Paleo and Ketogenic regimes for weight loss, curbing your appetite and sugar cravings.
‘Chocolate’ Nut (or Seed) Butter Fat Bombs
½ cup organic virgin coconut oil
½ cup almond or mixed nut butter (if nut sensitivity, use sunflower seed butter or sesame tahini)
2-3 Tbsp raw, organic cacao powder (not cocoa powder-same thing but roasted and lacking nutrients)
Stevia to sweeten (few drops optional), splash vanilla optional
- In a large skillet over low heat melt coconut oil and nut butter.
- Stir in cacao powder.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract if using.
- Pour into a spouted cup to make pouring easier.
- Pour mixture into silicone candy molds. (each mold should hold 1 tablespoon of mixture)
- Freeze or refrigerate until set.
- Remove from molds and store in the fridge in an air tight container.
- Eat one fat bomb to curb the appetite or satisfy your sweet tooth.
Some fat bomb recipes suggest to add in cacao butter. I chose to leave it out since I use these fat bombs as a sweet tooth fighter and appetite suppressor.
Layered White and Dark Peppermint Bombs
2 + 1 Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
¾ cup coconut butter
1/3 cup shredded coconut
2 tsp cacao powder
½ tsp peppermint extract
- Combine cocoa butter, shredded coconut with 2 Tbsp coconut oil and peppermint extract.
- Pour into molds filling ½ way and place in fridge to harden for 15 min
- Mix the remaining Tbsp of coconut oil with cacao powder and pour on top of the first layer.
- Return to fridge until firm.