Contributed by Opa
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken or vegetable stock(gluten free)
- 2 tbs (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 25g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups (354ml) arborio rice
- 2 bunches (approximately 1½ lbs) asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbs (30 ml)lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 cup (237 ml) grated parmesan OR grated Manchego Sheep cheese
- Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep at a gentle simmer.
- Heat oil and half the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add rice and cook, stirring for 2-4 minutes or until rice is hot and well coated in onion mixture. Do not let the rice brown.
- Add 1 cup hot stock and stir continuously until stock has nearly all been absorbed. Add another cup of stock. Stir until stock has nearly been absorbed.
- Continue to add stock, a cupful at a time, stirring and allowing the stock to be absorbed before adding more.
- Add asparagus to pan, and continue to add stock stirring frequently until mixture is creamy and rice is just tender (this should take about 20 minutes); add a little extra stock or water if necessary.
- Add lemon rind, juice, remaining butter and cheese to risotto. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Notes. Chicken risotto: You may like to include chicken in this risotto. Cut cooked chicken thigh or breast fillets into 2cm pieces. Add to risotto in step 6, together with the asparagus.