Our body’s digestive tracts houses about 100 trillion bacteria, that is more than 10 times the number of cells that we have in our entire body. Probiotics are the good, healthy bacteria that line your digestive tract. The type and quantity of these micro-organisms in our digestive tracts interact within our body and can directly influence the development of many diseases by either preventing or promoting them. Maintaining an optimal ratio between the “good” and “bad” bacteria in the digestive tract is essential for good health.
- Probiotics are essential for optimal digestion of food and absorption of nutrients and minerals.
- Probiotics help our body to produce vitamins and aid in the elimination of toxins.
- Eighty percent of your immune system is housed in your digestive tract, therefore by supporting digestive health, you will be improving immunity.
- Within the cells that line the digestive tract, serotonin is made. Serotonin travels into the bloodstream and passes the blood brain barrier and directly effects neurotransmitter balance in the brain. Therefore by supporting digestive health, you will be supporting brain function.
- Healthy gut bacteria easily gets killed off, taking antibiotics, livestock given antibiotics, chemical-laden agriculture, chlorinated/fluorinated water can all throw off your natural bacterial balance, so we need probiotics to re-establish a healthy bacterial terrain.
Therefore, supplementing with high-quality and high-efficacy probiotics are essential for maintaining good health.