About the Human Microbiome
- There are 10 times as many microbes in the digestive tract than there are human cells in the body
- About 100 trillion microbes
- Weigh approximately 3lbs
Microbiome is the ecosystem of microbes, colonies of bacteria and fungi that live in our digestive tracts. Microbiome is essential for processing nutrients, proper immune function and preventing disease progression.
Why is the Microbiome Important?
- Essential for optimal digestion of food and absorption of nutrients and minerals.
- Help our body to produce vitamins (B12, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), vitamin K)
- Aid in the elimination of toxins.
- Microbiome dictates how the immune system functions.
- Its balance and diversity is one the key indicators of long-term health.